Principal s Message
Welcome to Roosevelt Middle School! At RMS, we have extremely caring and dedicated staff, faculty, and parents who put our students at the center. Together, we work to create an open, accepting, and engaging learning environment that taps into our students and staff’s strengths, interests, and values.
As an Artful Learning school, we use visual and performing arts in combination with a project-based interdisciplinary model to improve academic achievement and to instill curiosity and a love of learning for all students. We are committed to providing every student with the opportunity to experience, inquire, create, and reflect through artful expression.
Here's what your child can expect at Roosevelt Middle School:
• Incorporate the arts into everyday learning!
• Navigate core subjects with the support of small cross-curricular teams of teachers.
• Develop specialized skills and explore visual and performing arts through a variety of award-winning electives.
• Engage with rigorous content aligned with state and visual/performing arts standards.
• Identify and create solutions for a better tomorrow.
• Explore relevant concepts such as change, relationships, patterns, and impact through significant questions.
• Design original creations that demonstrate acquired knowledge and express new understanding.
• Showcase unique talents through projects and events.
• Apply and transfer skills to new situations and constantly evolving challenges.
• Enhance performance and academic achievement by connecting concepts across subjects.
• Develop as literate citizens through metacognition.
• Examine and understand my contribution to the global community.
At Roosevelt Middle School, we have P.R.I.D.E. in our students, school, and community. Our P.R.I.D.E. is our promise to our students to help them PERSIST to achieve their goals. REFLECT to connect and understand the world around them, INQUIRE to identify and create solutions, DEVELOP their character and build a better community, and to EXPERIENCE new perspectives and engage in artful expression.
In addition to providing a strong core academic program, we at Roosevelt are committed to making sure all students have the opportunity to develop to their full academic and social potential by providing a safe and nurturing environment for our students. Here at RMS, we have numerous opportunities for students to develop their passions with our exciting programs such as: band, choir, art, ASB, athletics, clubs, and other exciting electives. We continue to develop and focus on our RMS Character Traits Program: P.A.W.S. (Positive Attributes Wildcats Show) campus wide. These attributes of Collaboration, Courage, Creativity, Determination, Integrity, Positivity, Respect, Responsibility, and Spirit are an integral part of character building, student recognition, and classroom instruction.
To help create a small school feeling within the larger campus, our 6th and 7th grade students are placed in core academic teaching teams called Prides. Students in a Pride share the same English, Social Studies, Math, and Science teachers. Teachers in each Pride spend time collaborating on cross-curricular learning opportunities and ways to best support their students both academically and social-emotionally.
We are so excited that your student will be joining us at Roosevelt Middle School! To stay informed with the amazing things happening at RMS, follow us on Twitter @RooseveltMiddl2 and look for our RMS Wildcat Weekly. Please visit our Parent Center, and our wonderful Community Liaison, Ms. Gabby Thompson, will be happy to help you with any questions as well. We are looking forward to working closely with you to ensure our students have the best learning opportunities.
Principal, Roosevelt Middle School
Amy Zilk, Principal